Subject: changing keyboard repeat rate.
From: [email-masked] (Michael K. Johnson)

OK, I have gotten several requests for info on how to change the
keyboard repeat rate, so here goes.  Note:  I can't just give diffs,
because there are lots of options, and for heaven's sake it's only
three lines of code.

In boot/setup.S, there are the lines:

! set the keyboard repeat rate to the max

	mov	ax,#0x0305
	mov	bx,0x0000
	int	0x16

If you don't want to change the repeat rate at all, just comment out
these lines by prefacing them with !'s.  If you want something in the
middle, change the
	mov	bx,0x0000
to	mov	bx,0x????
where ???? is determined by (from Ralf Brown's interrupt list)
bh = delay value (0x00 = 250 ms to 0x03 = 1000 ms (one second))
	this is the delay before the repeat starts happening
bl = repeat rate (0x00 = 30/sec to 0x0c = 10/sec [default] to 0x1f = 2/sec)

I use	mov	bx,0x0006
to delay 1/4 sec, then repeat at what I think is a comfortable rate.
I am too lazy to calculate the exact speed -- maybe 20/sec? ;-)

Hope this helps people.

michaelkjohnson
[email-masked]